Re: Glyoxal?

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 01/16/06-09:26:12 AM Z

I just want to confirm with Dave that formalin is nasty stuff.

Many years ago I did some work involving handling significant volumes of
formalin. I used protective clothing/gloves, a respirator and worked with
a fume hood. All the appropriate precautions. Since then I've developed
a serious contact allergy to formaldehyde. I can't get near the stuff now
without reacting to it.

Its a very inconvenient allergy - lots of common things use trace amounts
of formaldehyde as a preservative- hand creams, shampoos, plywood,
oriented strand board lumber, carpet undelays, etc. etc.

If you use formaldehyde take appropriate precautions. Gluteraldehyde is
no where near as risky as formaldehyde. Luckily I am not allergic to glut
:)

Gord

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Dave Rose wrote:

> Formalin is very nasty stuff. If you use it indoors, it releases fumes into
> the air and your eyes will burn terribly. I tried it once, opened all the
> windows and left the room until the paper was dry. I resumed the task
> outdoors a few days later, and have done all hardening outside ever since.
>
> I've never seen formalin discolor paper. I've had nothing but good results
> using it.
>
> Dave in Wyoming

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2