RE: Dissolving Ferric Oxalate Kallitype

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 01/25/06-11:18:12 AM Z

Mike, The recipe that I use is one from Dick Stevens's book on the
Kallitype. He list three and I use Ammonium Ferrous Sulfate (AFS), Oxalic
Acid and 35% Hydrogen peroxide. The yield of 2.5 liters would be mixed up
2.5 kilos of AFS. I make it in smaller batches; usually around 300 to 500
ml. The concentration is in direct response to your ability to follow
procedure that YOU set for yourself. By that I mean, there are guidelines
for what to do, but because this is so "ill defined" it is important to do
it the same time after time to have the "same" stuff.

I find that using very little water a certain stages, helps to increase the
concentration. This could be why I use my salts at different concentrations
than others. I will extract the pages of my book that deal with that and
post it on my web site for download. If anyone is interested, let me know
and I'll send you the appropriate log in info to an ftp site.

As for storing a liquid form? Well if you can make it to a liquid, you
should be able to fix your liquid. There will be a point that for
consistency in printing, that may not be the best approach over the long
run.

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9