Re: tonal inversion and pigment loads

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/27/06-11:35:45 AM Z

On Jan 27, 2006, at 7:49 AM, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Yes, if you printed a print this way, that's exactly what would
> happen. But you wouldn't want to actually PRINT, stained like this.
> You would either size the paper, if this is a paper-related stain
> with a normal pigment load, or you would reduce the pigment, if it
> was a stain due to overpigmentation, and then you wouldn't see this
> stuff at all; you would just see the normal tones of the hardened
> gum, no stain at all. That's my whole point.

See, it's real simple to tell the difference between these two types
of stain, as I explain on my page. If it's paper-related, staining
will occur at even low pigment loads, in other words changing the
pigment load won't eliminate the staining, but sizing will eliminate
it. If the staining is related to overpigmentation, reducing the
pigment load will eliminate the stain, but sizing or changing the
substrate won't affect it. Overpigmented gum will stain on unsized
paper, sized paper, glass, everything.

I've got a group coming for a studio tour this afternoon and I've got
some serious cleaning to do before then, so I should tear myself away
from here,
Katharine