Re: tonal inversion and pigment loads

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/27/06-12:45:56 PM Z

On Jan 27, 2006, at 10:25 AM, Yves Gauvreau wrote:

> I don't know, I agree with you that's not what we would want, but
> do we have
> a choice?

Of course we do. There's no necessity to print stained prints at all,
unless you really want to, and most gum printers never see any of
these phenomena, and I've produced them recently for test purposes
only out of intellectual curiosity. As I said, if you get pigment
staining, if the stain is paper-related, size the paper; if it's
related to overpigmentation, reduce the pigment. Voila, stain-free
prints. there's no need to make this so complicated.

BTW, a thin negative isn't "required" it's just what works best for
many people, but you can use any kind of negative for gum
successfully; the rules for eliminating stain above apply regardless
of the negative. Unless, of course, the negative is so thin that its
densest parts fail to keep the gum under them from hardening, but
that's a different issue, and FWIW I've never yet seen a negative
that thin in my own practice. But it would depend on the light, of
course, what constituted a "too thin" negative.
Katharine