Re: tonal inversion and pigment loads

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/28/06-11:41:09 PM Z

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Tom Sobota wrote:

> .... Very recently I have read a
> reference to inversion in a note by Judy Seigel in the P-F Journal. And,
> latest of all, the post by Joe Smigiel some two months back. As far as I
> know, that is all. So, a terminology has not yet evolved.

What prompted that mention was the article by Sarah Van Keuren who was/is
known for her fabulous gum prints -- often over a cyanotype, but not
always. In Post-factory #3, page 35, the caption of Van Keuren's "North
Hero" 1997, gum over cyanotype on Rives BFK, adds, "The blue, partly
covered by a layer of gray and another of black, gives a tritone or
'solarized' effect."

It had happened around a tree, emphasizing the outlines of the leaves, for
a very graphic effect, while the rest of the print was as usual. Since I
had noticed a similar effect (with only certain pigments), I produced a
few more examples for a "sidebar" titled "Funny Gum Trick:
Direct-Reversal,'Solarized.'"

Since I had studied and practiced the phenomenon (loosely) called
"solarization" in silver gelatin (more correctly termed "Sabatier effect")
extensively, I found many parallels justifying the term, not least being
the distinct white "Mackie Lines," a hallmark of SG solarization,
appearing as white lines around the numbers in the 21-step gum prints.

Judy