Re: tonal inversion and pigment loads

From: Jack Brubaker ^lt;jack@jackbrubaker.com>
Date: 01/30/06-07:16:52 AM Z

> From: Tom Sobota
>
> After half an hour of inmersion in water facing down, these
> large and loose grains
> should have gone to the bottom of the tray. But somehow, they didn't.

I am only making wild guesses here but static charge is stronger in larger
particles. So perhaps your observation helps point in that direction.

Katherine wrote:

why did the numbers wash off only in steps
17 through 21? The numbers should consist of hardened gum of the
same density from steps 1 through 21. The stain is the same tone
from steps 10 to 21, meaning there's no more hardened gum underneath
to act as a resist against the stain, as there is in steps 5 through
8, and so the unhardened gum should dissolve equally and completely
from all the steps from 10 to 21. Your explanation above is
intriguing, but I don't think it takes these facts into account.

My response:

If static charge is working in this there is no reason to expect it to act
"photographically". It may be a contrary force that only comes into play
under certain conditions. I wonder if the condition of the numbers high in
the scale are that condition but don't claim to understand.

It does happen in some cases when powder coating that a charge is built up
in an area that will attract powder to that area but repel powder in a small
area within that area. It doesn't make sense when it happens, but it does. I
don't see how a charge could be being created in the gum, but...

If it's not static charge holding that loose powder that both Tom and
Katherine have observed what is it? I Don't know.

Jack