Re: Gums a la Demachy and Puyo

From: Christina Z. Anderson <zphoto_at_montana.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:06:16 -0600

Here are some suggestions from back in the day:

black and burnt sienna mixed
lamp black and indian red mixed 2:1
equal parts of indian red and burnt umber
colors used were venetian red, indian red, umbers, sepia, vandyke brown,
brown and red ochre, indigo, and sienna, lamp black, and bistre (?)
"on the whole, lampblack, the ochres, and umbers and indigo will form,
separately or combined, a palette with which, as a rule, we may be very well
satisfied".
"temper red ochre with a bit of blue"
burnt umber mixed with venetian red
prussian blue mixed with venetian red
That should give you enough ideas to try :)
Chris