RE: palladium bleedoff

From: Don Bryant <dstevenbryant_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:23:30 -0400

There was a long thread about this topic back in May on the APUG Alternative
Process Forum.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=310901

Some folks mentioned that they have had the problem occur with several
different types of paper including Platine, Cot320, Cranes Cover 90 (a.k.a.
Birdcageotype in Placerville, CA) and possibly others. In the end, nothing
definitive was resolved as the exact cause of this problem.

I've also experienced this problem with iron-silver processes such as VDB
and kallitype using different papers at various RHs.

My best guess is that the amount of sensitizer used can cause this,
specifically using more than is really needed. I've also noticed that this
problem will crop up when printing negatives that have a lot of dark tones
near the edge of the image but the bleeding can be observed in any part of
the image where darker tones occur.

I inquired about this problem quite a while ago when printing VDB. So far as
I know no one has solved the issue.

I do recall that Mike Ware discusses a similar issue of bleeding using the
traditional cyanotype formula in his cyanotype book. If memory serves me
well he referred to this as peptization (peptisation) but may not be related
to palladium printing.

Don Bryant