Re: Gums a la Demachy and Puyo

From: TERRYAKING_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 05:24:09 -0400 (EDT)

davidhatton@totalise.co.uk writes:

> >While we patiently wait for Terry to finish his garden..

David

What you may find interesting while you wait so patiently, is that the
negative for the single exposure gum print had a d max of 2.4 and a range from first
useful detail of 2.1. I will put the resulting print on the rex processes
page which will be rejigged, to cover all the processes resulting from our
retro-invention programme, after October..

The pigment I used was straight W & N burnt sienna.which comes as a fine
powder in a nice little jar. I did not mix it with anything else.

Incidentally, I have a couple of W & N manuals setting out the qualities of
their pigments in their various forms. oil, watercolour etc.
Some pigments stain such as the hookers greens, some are fugitive, rose
madder, although it smells great, and some should not be used when the print is
likely to be hung anywhere near a coal fire. But the best places for
information are the standard manuals on artists materials and colours. In my experience
using the pigments to make gum prints rather than paintings does not make
much difference. Some may find using acrylics difficult for multicolour printing
but I have been using acrylics for that purpose for nearly twenty years.

Terry

www.hands-on-pictures.com