Ferric Oxalate Questions

From: G Guhan Gunaratnam <guruguhan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:32:20 -0400

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help with some questions I have regarding FO. I
have ended up with a large amount of Ferrous Oxalate, I have placed an order
for Ferric, but have been playing around with what I have in the meantime.
I have made some ferric from oxalic acid, ferrous oxalate, and hydrogen
peroxide. I didnšt have strong H202 to work with, and had to use it in a 3%
concentration. The solution now passes the Potassium Ferricyanide test, but
Išm unsure of the concentration and a few other things.

1. If you have an FO solution just sitting in front of you, is there a way
to determine its concentration?
2. Is 27% solution used because it simplifies the mixing process (1:1 with
metal salts)?
3. would a weaker FO solution cause any significant problems apart from
complicating the ratio with metal salts?
4. if the ratio of metal salts to ferric is not correct (too little ferric),
what would the result be? - lower density due to the salts being washed
away? - what is the price of using too much ferric (harder to clear)?
5. For those of you who add a drop or so of H202 to your sensitizer...what
concentration do you use?

To properly get the concentration of the FO Išve got, Išll redo my steps.
First time I just wanted to see if I could get the Ferric with such a weak
solution of peroxide.

Thanks in advance,
Gu