Re: "SPT" for gum is a borrowed (alien) concept ...Re: Determining SPT with gum

From: TERRYAKING_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 03:48:15 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 16/07/2006 22:02:13 GMT Daylight Time, jseigel@panix.com
writes:

> I don't
> mean spray or rubbing which do after all modify the image (whether for
> better or for worse is TBD [to be determined], which is to say, moot) but
> in gentle agitation -- one of my favorites, incidentally, being from
> Demachy, who would take a sponge and VERY gently squeeze so a few drops of
> water at a time land on an area to be "opened up."

Judy exhorts the extreme flexibility of the development of gum prints but
then limits that freedom by appearing to object to modification of the image.

Apart from anything else a spray of water will enhance the speed of
development and enable shorter exposure times.. Using brushes will enable you to make a
straight' development with the very gentle application of a very soft brush,
I have a four inch sable, or arrive at different levels of manipulation using
everything from water jets and bath sponges to brillo pads depending on the
level of manipulation you require. It all depends upon the image you are
trying to achieve.

Incidentally, surely the whole point of gum was that the image could be
manipulated. Internal evidence suggsts that a pretty fair proportion of Demachy's
prints have been subjected to sprays or brushes.

The great joy of gum is that there are no rules..

Terry

Terryu