Re: Troubleshooting cyanotypes

From: TERRYAKING_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:17:07 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 17/7/06 5:08:36 pm, jwosnick@fastmail.fm writes:

> After that, though, I starting having problems. The exposed cyanotype,
> before development, looked great -- nice contrast, etc. But on
> clearing, almost all of the image density bled away into the wash
> water, leaving practically nothing.

Jordan

With the classic cyanotype process you need to expose the print until it
reverses. The shadows up to the mid tones should be blue grey and the
highlights, blue. Only the bits that will be white in the final print should be the
green of the original coat. if you just expose until it looks right' everything
will wash off.

Terry