Re: Gums a la Demachy and Puyo and all sorts of other things

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:21:44 -0700

On Jul 17, 2006, at 9:46 AM, Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> Standardization of some variables does not preclude the ability of
> altering other variables—obviously gum has a humongous number of
> variables that can be played with—

Another way of saying what I said earlier today: it's just a matter
of what things you choose to hold constant and what things you choose
to vary. I am certainly for controlling variables as much as
possible; if gum printers were divided into groups labeled "For
standardization of procedure" and "against standardization of
procedure" (could there really be anyone in that latter category?)
I would fall solidly in the standardization camp, so I hope no one's
trying to make a case that I'm against standardization. We all have
our own ideas about what variables it makes most sense to hold
constant, but we're all trying to control the process in whatever
way seems most effective and efficient to each of us, I think.
Katharine