Re: palladium drydown and developer

From: Clay <wcharmon_at_wt.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 07:46:25 -0500

Terry,

First, the yellowing 'surmise' was intended as merely a question, not
a statement of fact or experience. You have to admit that most
(although exceptions I am sure exist) older albumen prints have
yellowing that occurs in the highlights. The extensive Julia Margaret
Cameron collection at the Eastman house, for instance, has yellowed
significantly. As you are alluding, the commonly accepted chemical
reason for this is the formation of silver albumate, which would not
be a factor I suppose if you put platinum or palladium in it.

I have made a fair number of albumen prints, so I am familiar with
how to coat the paper and so forth. And it sounds like the key for
you was in the dilution, which I indeed suspected after trying it
myself with some albumen I had on hand. I kept diluting it in a
serial fashion, but perhaps did not go far enough.

Regards,

Clay