Re: palladium drydown and developer

From: TERRYAKING_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:06:44 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 21/07/2006 18:10:49 GMT Daylight Time, sanking@clemson.edu
writes:

> Yellowing of albumen prints is not due to the albumen itself but to silver
> that remains in the print in combination with the albumen, silver albumenate.
> This can not be removed by hypo, and the yellowing of the highlights occurs
> as the albumenate breaks down and releases the silver, which then reacts with
> sulphur compounds in albumen to produce brown silver sulphide. The yellow
> fading can not be reversed.
>

> I would not expect that a Pt./Pd. print on paper sized with albumen would
> yellow. I have made a few carbon prints using paper sized with albumen rather
> than gelatin but there is not enough difference in look, at least in my eyes,
> to justify the additional expense and trouble. If you choose to try albumen
> sizing for Pt./Pd. printing you might look into the liquid albumen sold in
> grocery stores.

Sandy

That may be the received understanding but, as you would not have expected,
albumenised papers yellow when silver has not been anywhere near them.

If you buy albumen from grocery stores, it is a popular ingredient of icing
for cakes, it still has to be processed as you would raw white of egg, before
you use it.

Albumen also makes glorious gum prints.

Terry King
The nice one)