RE: 1st & 2nd Cyanotype

From: Kate M <kateb_at_paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:38:14 +1200

Hi all, I find I can use foam brushes if I'm not heavy-handed. The problem
is that foam brushes aren't all equal. Coarse ones intended for painting
houses are terrible for emulsions. The fine ones found in art stores don't
pick up so much emulsion. I always drag the brush on the side of the
container to remove most of the emulsion before I coat, and only dip in the
tip of the brush, and try to use only single brush strokes so as not to
disturb the surface of the paper. I've never had problems with paper surface
when using foam brushes. I think some people tend to scrub their solutions
across the paper rather than gently stroke on with a dryish brush.However,I
have my students use good-quality hakes rather than foam brushes. They last
and last if well cared for.

Most of my students have trouble getting their heads round an emulsion that
is as thin as cyanotype. They expect an "emulsion" to be thicker.That leads
to overloading brushes and mottled prints.

Kate