Re: Nikon scheduled to release a new 10 MP DSLR

From: Dan Burkholder <fdanb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:19:44 -0500 (CDT)

Nikon needs to do more than tease. Hardly a week goes by that a friend
or colleague doesn't email with a declaration that they are moving to
Canon. Try to think of the last time you heard of a Canon shooter going
the other way. It's a shame that such a fine camera-making company as
Nikon got themselves into this box.

They can't really jam any more pixels into their small chips (possible
giant strides in chip development aside) and their introduction of DX
lenses to fill voids in their optics lineup is abysmal (try getting a
fast wide angle for instance).

I'm rooting for Nikon but losing hope fast. I've been holding on to a
handful of classic great Nikkors but if Nikon doesn't introduce a
full-frame DSLR at Photokina I'm afraid the glass is going to ebay. I'll
hang onto the marvelous 55mm f1.2 that works fine on the Canon with an
adapter but the rest will go. You can only hold onto faith so long.

Now that Sony (Nikon's chip supplier) has introduced their own DSLR,
what motivation would Sony ever have to make a chip for Nikon that's
better than the chip in their own camera? It's nuts to be dependent on
the competition for the most important part of your product.

OK, I'm finished with the rant. It's just that Nikon has so disappointed
me after 32 faithful years. They changed the rules for us old-timers who
want a 20mm 2.8 to be just that, not a wing-clipped 30mm field of view lens.

Dan

--
http://www.DanBurkholder.com
http://www.TinyTutorials.com