Re: studio cameras circa 1950s

From: Judy Seigel <jseigel_at_panix.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 18:27:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 28 May 2006, Jack Fulton wrote:> It is interesting that the
"reality" of that time has been usurped,
> or superseded, by the notion of the camera 'lying' due to bias of the
> photographer. Digital has now aided in what one might call interpretation of
> reality. Reality will become a modality seen as a fictional truth, or, in
> other words, interpretation of an event might actually be more interesting
> than a record of it. One might say this is illustration but it won't be that
> either.

I'm not so sure thoughts of the camera *lying* cause lack of interest --
from here it looks like news media just lost interest. For example, we had
some serious -- even ominous-- events here in NYC during the Republican
convention of 2004, and charges may be forthcoming (slowly slowly) of
police perjury and evidence tampering, not to mention preventive detention
of thousands... Of course in itself offtopic... But a propos use of
photographs in news media, I recently had occasion to research coverage of
those events (and we do think if it could happen in NY it could happen
anywhere, tho that may just be our NY chauvinism).

It turns out that none of the 3 major US news weeklies (Time, Newsweek or
US News & World Report) printed a WORD or picture of coverage of any of it
(except for a one-page photo collage in Newsweek)... They simply said "see
our website". So the main news camera of *magazines* today may be the
video camera -- and probably more interested in "lifestyle" photos than
hard news. (The daily papers still do news photos but... mostly black &
white?)

However, that's not REALLY why I'm writing, which is to say, those
touching words by Sir Walter Scott, once known even by congressmen, are
essentially unknown today, or not known by even literate folks I've
mentioned them to... Which makes the next version, what took their place,
not properly understood, either... As in,

Breathes there a lass
with soul so dead
she never let Photoshop go to her head...

And continues with stanzas about running every filter on the file at 3 AM,
etc.etc. (I once had the rest of it somewhere.)

cheers,

Judy