RE: No APIS in the US this year -- Platypus instead

From: Richard Sullivan <richsul_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:43:25 -0600

The location of APIS is still to be determined as the Santa Fe Convention
Center is being rebuilt. It got delayed a bit when they found some Indian
bones but the cultural issues were ironed out nicely so it is back on track
but won't be finished in time for APIS. A typical agenda is two days of
lecture/demonstrations with print showings and other events. We've had
presentations such as:

The Getty Conservation Institute has done on different years presentations
on Niepce's first photograph and Willis' patents on platinum,

A session on Brazilian photographic history,

A session on Chemograms from a Maori person from New Zealand,

Terry King did a demo on printing in gold last year,

Art Chaklis has done sessions on his ongoing investigations of the Fresson
process,

Dr Alschuler did a presentation proposing that the Lumiere Autochrome
process was possible a rip off of the relatively unknown Mannechrome
process.

These just samples of the variety of people and subjects presented and as
you can see they run the gamut from a basic presentation on a little known
process to a full blown academic presentation. I did a survey of hand last
year and over half the attendees taught at the college level.

The program is targeted to advanced workers in process photography but
almost everything is accessible to beginners. We shy away from what might be
thought of as introductory presentations. A couple of sessions last year on
sensitometry and the digital negatives did overwhelm some with the numbers
but most found it exciting.

By the way, PLATYPUS -- Platinum Printers Yearly Party Under the Stars - was
originally a backyard evening barbecue with print showing. That was nearly a
quarter of a century ago! My son Dana says the first one was in 1983 not
1984 as I had posted. It is now biannual as having Platypus and APIS in the
same year is a bit much. Melody has a pretty good collection of platypi that
people have donated over the years.

Ask more questions if you have them

--Dick

  _____