Re: Trouble getting Crop Marks in CS2 from a PC

From: eric nelson <emanphoto_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:31:29 -0500

There have been some recent Adobe upgrades for CS2 on the Mac side that were
found to be extremely problematic/buggy etc. Hopefully that problem doesn't
cross platforms, but you might want to look into reports on any CS2 updates
you may have done. I know for Mac users, we are to not update for now and
for them, here's that info fyi from Macfixit.
Eric

Adobe Creative Suite 2.0 (CS2): Adobe providing missing files necessary for
activation to some users
We continue to report on an issue where an error occurs near the end of the
installation process, leaving working copies of all the CS2 applications but
disallowing the CS2 suite to be properly activated with Adobe. The company's
technical support department was previously telling some users to use the
kludgy workaround of re-installing the applications every 30 days (after 30
days, the products expire if they not activated).
As noted yesterday, some users have had success with the use of a workaround
we previously noted as effective for a separate issue where the Creative
Suite 2.0 installation fails partway through on systems that have QuickTime
7.1 (QuickTime 7.1.1, which resolves this issue, has now been released)
installed: reversing the manual uninstall process offered by Adobe (i.e.
place all listed components in the desired locations -- copying them from
the installation disc -- rather than deleting them).
However, it now appears as though Adobe providing missing files necessary
for activation to some users. These files can be placed on the hard drive
manually after the problematic (incomplete) installation, allowing
activation to take place.
MacFixIt reader Mark writes:
"I'm a reseller in the UK and today installed CS2 onto an Intel iMac. It
froze half way through. Then I remembered a post on MacFixit about
VersionCue getting in the way, so I looked up the post and deleted the
files. Ran the installer again this time not opting for Version Cue, and it
installed all the way until the vey end when it froze.
"I called Adobe Tech Support and spoke to an extremely helpful chap who then
e=mailed me the missing files straight away. I put them in the Library
folder and presto, the activation now works.
"I now got these files handy and will be able to use them for future
installations."

Adobe's Version Cue causing various issues -- should be removed until
further notice
Over the past few days, we've noted a number of significant issues caused by
Adobe's Version Cue -- a file-version manager in the Adobe Creative Suite 2
software. Among the problems:
The Adobe Creative Suite 2.0 (CS2) installer fails part-way through when
Version Cue is present, or when attempting to install Version Cue on some
systems (particularly Intel-based Macs)
Systems upgraded with QuickTime 7.1 and or Security Update 2006-003 fail to
properly startup when Version Cue is present.
For the first problem, as separately mentioned, you should uncheck Adobe
Version Cue as an item to be installed when running the Adobe CS2 installer.

In order to remove Version Cue, navigate to /Library/StartupItems directory
(this is the Library folder at the root level of your hard drive -- not the
Library folder in your home user directory) and remove the file "Version
Cue." [Note that you may need to startup in Safe Mode by holding the shift
key down while your Mac boots up in order to properly boot the system and
remove the file].

If you want to remove all traces of Version Cue from your system, delete the
following files (or place them in a separate folder for safe-keeping):

Adobe Version Cue folder from the Applications folder
VersionCueCS2.prefPane folder from the Library/PreferencePanes folder.
com.adobe.versioncueCS2.plist file from the Library/Preferences folder.
AdobeVersionCueCS2 folder from the Library/StartupItems folder.