Re: lith printing formula

From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs_at_silvergrain.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:26:56 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
Subject: lith printing formula
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:22:11 -0600

> My question is this: on this list someone suggested to replace the
> paraformaldehyde with acetone, in the ratio of 2.2ml acetone for
> each gram of formaldehyde, thus 82.5ml acetone for the 37.5g
> paraformaldehyde--it was Ryuji who said this if I am not mistaken.

I'm pretty sure that was Michael Gudzinowicz on usenet
rec.photo.darkroom, or old pure-silver on tundraware. I can see the
idea behind it but I am uncertain of whether it provides desired
functionality in the developer solution.

The idea is that formaldehyde and sulfite forms a "buffer" system to
maintain a rather constant amount of free sulfite in the developer
bath. If the sulfite is too little, the developer goes off very
quickly. If there is too much, lith development will not occur. I
think Mike Gudzinowicz suggested this substituion as a way to avoid
potentially hazardous formaldehyde in darkroom.

> This developer has been wonderful for me, but I also found this year
> that the Fotospeed Lith developer did great for a bunch of students,
> so I am inclined to not mix my own lith developer anymore but just
> use the commercial brands. It was the first semester of teaching
> experimental that I did NOT mix up my own lith developer, and,
> frankly, it is a pain....

I don't use Fotospeed Lith developer, but my local lith printer friend
didn't have a good experience with it... I guess if it works for you,
why not use it? (Artists don't get credit for mixing chemicals!)

If this is for your own experimentation, and if you are concerned
about proprietary formula, I'd rather use formaldehyde. Aceton
substitution is a potentially big time sink to make it work, and
aceton is just as nasty as formaldehyde if ventilation is inadequate
anyway. (Note: once mixed with sulfite, formaldehyde is rather tightly
bound to sulfite and the developer is not as irritating as the bare
formaldehyde.)

As another experimental approach, I suggest you take a look at
"burning lith developer" I posted on pure-silver (on tundraware) on 2
Jan 2003. This developer avoids volatile agent altogether but also
lacks sulfite buffer system, so you should add a small amount of
sulfite from time to time, or replace the bath every few prints.