Re: Must see Photography places in NYC

From: Thom Mitchell ^lt;tjmitch@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 03/06/06-09:30:51 PM Z

Lens and Repro is always worth a stop for large format cameras and
lenses, http://www.lensrepro.com/index.html.
 They've been very helpful to me. It's also useful to check out
www.photography-guide.com which publishes a bi-monthly magazine listing
the galleries, shows and museums. The magazine also has a handy map of
various neighborhoods in Manhattan with gallery locations. This makes it
easy to plan a visit to a few in a row. Midtown at 57th street has
Howard Greenberg, Candace Dwan, Bonni Benrubi plus MoMA is at 53rd with
the Szarkowski exhibit. Chelsea of course has many galleries worth a
visit as well. I don't know of any alt specific work showing now but you
can always find the gallery representing work you like and schedule an
appointment to look. Calling ahead to galleries seems to work wonders
when compared to just walking in off the street. Have fun and it's a
great place eat as well. If you like Belgian, think Mussels, frites and
beer, Café de Bruxelles, 118 Greenwich Ave at 13th St. 212-206-1830 is
among my favorite places to eat without breaking the bank. The mussels
are out of this world, the frites are so crispy and the beer
selection...... Sorry back to Photography. -Thom