RE: Must see Photography places in NYC

From: Christopher Lovenguth ^lt;chris@chrisportfolio.com>
Date: 03/08/06-12:17:15 PM Z

An alt process specific gallery in NYC is Fotosphere. It's in Chelsea. The
website is www.fotosphere-ny.com . The building it's in has 5-6 floors of
galleries.

Other places:
PS 1 (too bad you just missed an incredible Peter Hujar exhibition).
Met -
MOMA - Huge Munch exhibit

Ok for those of you who don't know: Met, PS1, American Museum of Natural
History and The Cloisters (up at the top of Manhattan) are nonprofit "pay as
you wish". You will not see signs saying this when you walk in, it will say
for example "Adult - $12" and then in very fine print "suggested donation".
Don't worry either about being looked down on for paying $2. The people
taking the money will never give you a bad look or anything. Just go in and
tell them how much you want to pay. Now I for one if I didn't live here and
didn't go as much as I do (at least once a month to the Met) would give as
much as I can, especially because of the poor funding of the arts in this
country, but I understand budgets and poor artist as well.

The MOMA, Guggenheim, Whitney have pay as you wish (for MOMA it's free)
Fridays after a certain time (usually 6pm). For this, you have to get there
at least 1/2 before the free time and wait in line AND it will be packed.
But if one of these places has just one exhibition you want to see and you
don't need a lot of time to take it in, go for this option since they are
quite expensive to get in now (MOMA is $20 I think).

Chris
www.christopherlovenguth.com