Re: Shadow and High Key Contact Printing

From: Michael Koch-Schulte ^lt;mkochsch@shaw.ca>
Date: 03/17/06-08:28:29 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Koch-Schulte" <mkochsch@shaw.ca>
To: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: Shadow and High Key Contact Printing

Richard, et al.
The below is an excerpt, the full text can be found on the main page of
www.alternativephotography.com under "workshops. I believe the workshop is
being hosted by the Formulary and is specifically talking about digital
negatives. I was being deliberately vague on my initial post because I
wanted unbiased feedback hence my use of the term "general". Dick Arentz and
Mark Nelson are co-hosting. I guess the question going through my head is if
the curve's job to produce a perfect analog of what one sees on the screen,
why would there be a need to manipulate the negative any further? What
benefit is there to producing a negative (and a new curve) specifically for
an image where the emphasis is "shadows" or "highlights".

Thanks,
~m

 " ...Students will learn to master the interaction of manipulations of PT/
PD chemistry with manipulations of the digital negative to make unique
prints that match their vision—including “shadow printing”, high key
printing, digital negatives with hybrid curves that match the monitor image
or how an in-camera negative would print and everything in between, and how
to achieve softness or edge sharpness in an image or both. All of these
methods have been designed to retain all the original richness of the image
when shot and translate it into the print."