Argyrotypes v Salt and Van Dyke

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 03/20/06-04:40:04 AM Z

In a message dated 19/03/2006 14:07:52 GMT Standard Time, wcharmon@wt.net
writes:

It is definitely a different color than VDB, certainly prints well on a
negative with a shorter density range than either salt or VDB, and according to
Mike Ware, has distinctly better archival properties than either VDB or salt.
On the negative side, it is much more particular about which paper you use
and in general, seems 'fussy' in practice.

Whether this makes up for the hassle of mixing it up is open to debate. But
it is a different animal than either of the other two processes you
mentioned. FWIW, I tried it for a while and never went back.

Clay

Clay

Thanks.

Of course people are free to do whatever they want.

My own approach is that as it is very difficult to better a good salt print
or a good Van Dyke, it is better to follow the methods of such masters as
Hill and Adamson whose salt prints are supremely beautiful and have survived for
160 years.

As to archival qualities, the VD has a bad reputation as the man who
devloped it got it wrong. But both salt prints and VDs when fixed properly are as
archival as any other silver process.

The fine qualities of these two processes depend to a great extent on using
negatives exposed and developed to give the potential for a long density
range. Shortening that range can have a deleterious effect on those qualities.

Fashion dictates that we use digital negatives, but if you want the best
stick to appropriately exposed and developed in camera negatives..If you do,
you will have put up with the taunts that you are a dinosaur but so what..

Terry

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)

_www.hands-on-pictures.com/_ (http://www.hands-on-pictures.com/)