Re: Gum chemistry is simple and easy and Gloy

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 03/20/06-12:43:45 PM Z

I didn't know what David was referring back to, but since it was
about gloy, I decided it must have been Terry, so I looked in the
junk folder and here it was. (My mail program puts anything with an
aol address into the junk automatically.)

Now let me see.... ladders.... bits sticking out....atoms break
off... more pigment makes the gum less soluble.... simple as pie!

Actually, the chains and ladders part is fairly true of PVA, though
it's not true of gum at all. Gum comes in globular structures that
are highly branched within; this dense compact structure is what
makes gum capable of forming concentrated solutions with relatively
low viscosity, the experts in gum arabic tell us.

Atoms break off? The high school chemistry text you're working from
needs updating, Terry, if that's what it says.

I could say more about the rest, but it's too nice a morning to sit
at the computer. I'll just say this is a perfect illustration of
the point I was making: people can make fine gum prints even if they
don't understand anything about the process, or even if what they
think they know about it is wrong, oversimplified, or outdated.

Katharine