Re: FW: An exchange with Mike Ware (on Argyrotype)

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/24/06-12:10:24 AM Z

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Loris Medici wrote:

>....My opinion is that if one process Kallitypes
> and Vandykes so that no thiosulfate (except for a minute trace maybe -
> which may actually provide protection from oxidation) and iron is left
> in the paper, there isn't a reason to think that the stability /
> longevity will be inferior compared to Argyrotype.

At the risk of raising Warean wrath, I cite what I recall, as hasn't been
mentioned in the puzzlement over why Argyro. I remember reading that it
was more archival because the particles were larger -- hence with less
total surface area than the processes it putatively replaced-- for
impurities (or other) to attack.

I can't swear it was argyro, but which other would it have been? Nor can
I swear it was Ware making the claim -- but who else?

Whether the particles are indeed larger, or whether that would matter, I
have no idea, nor does it matter to me personally, as I don't plan to do,
service, write about, teach, or otherwise engage in any of the relevant
processes (famous last words of course) in the forseeable future. I
simply offer the recollection as a public service.

You're welcome.

Judy