Re: Iron

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/27/06-02:05:58 PM Z

I don't have a reference at hand in my office right now, but I think
EDTA is most efficient in complex iron at pH of around 6. Depending on
which salt you are using, the pH may be lower. Addition of sulfite or
KHCA may bring the pH to 6-8 range.

think there is some misunderstanding of the point. The context of
iron-EDTA thing was deterioration of paper substrate and not the image.
In the iron-gall inked paper I was referring to, the inked area is
destroyed or very easily destroyed with little mechanical force.

For the image part, I know hydrogen peroxide at 500-3000ppm range is
enough to bleach out silver image in a matter of days, unless the silver
image is toned. While 500ppm is an artificially high level to accelerate
the testing, peroxide is given off from cardboard, paint, adhesive, etc.
and I personally want to make my images quite resistant to peroxide
attacks. There are environmental oxidants other than peroxide as well.

In discussing longevity of images, storage condition is a big factor.
Temp, humidity, etc. If humidity is higher, environmental oxidants are
more easily going into the paper, and the silver is also more reactive
with them. (When you read darkroom cookbook and stuff like that, you'll
see them talking about silver solvent = sodium sulfite, but don't forget
water is a silver solvent as well!) Considering how much PITA to keep
photographic prints in strictly controlled conditions, I think it's a
lot easier to process the material in such a way to minimize the
environmental influence on the image, and ease the stroage/display
condition to more manageable level.