polyvinyl alcohols (was Re: New Gloy = Bakerex)

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/28/06-06:43:48 PM Z

> In a message dated 28/3/06 4:45:46 pm, kthayer@pacifier.com writes:

> > (get some PVA of whatever kind (although the
> > degree of hydrolysis should be high regardless)  some glycerine, some
> > water; mix them together in proportions of your choosing until it
> > seems about right)-

Degree of hydrolysis varies a lot. Higher degree of hydrolysis would
increase adhesion to hydrophilic surfaces, but not hydrophobic; the
reverse for low hydrolysis PVA. Higer hydrolysis would result in
increased tensile strength, and lower, increased flexibility. It is
probably easiest to test the degree of hydrolysis by testing for water
sensitivity or emulsifying power.

Incidentally, the different degree of polymerization would result in
different viscosity, as well as water sensitivity, adhesion,
emulsifying power, etc. It's best to determine viscosity first.