Re: archivalness

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 03/29/06-03:46:12 PM Z

Sandy

Given that people were still gaining the necessary practical experience in
how to process prints, it is likely, as you suggest,  that the majority of
photographic prints which have survived from the 1840s and early1950s were gold
toned.  This is hardly surprising when one considers that it was a widely held
view that the more use a fixing bath had, the more effective it would be. This
lack of knowledge led to so many prints fading that the Photographic Society
of London set up its 'Fading Committee'. After that processing improved to the
extent that  substitutes for silver, which were being exploredat the time,
had to wait for later,

Terry