Re: APIS 2006 September 16 & 17  2006 Oxford

From: TERRYAKING_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 05:04:36 -0400 (EDT)

Sandy

I suggested that as we only seemed to know each other on the net, we should
meet in person. Luis said that as a new centre for photography was about to
open in Paris,we might be able to use it for a morning. I did not realise that
Marc had organised it. It is good that we know now !

As Marc says, the debate was of a high standard.It was an enjoyable and
informative morning. The next year i set up APIS. As I have said we thought up the
name round my kitchen table. I think that Randall Webb was there. We held the
first APIS in Bath as we were able to use the RPS's lecture theatre free of
charge.

Autotype Kentmere, and Berger were all there. We has representatives from
at least 14 countries including Russia, France, Germany, Portugal, Brazil,
Australia and the US. Dick Sullivan of Bostick ad Sullivan was there as was Martin
Reed of Silverprint, two men who have contributed so much to the 'alt'
community. We had world acknowledged experts from worlds as diverse as gravure and
tri-colur carbon and carbro. There people sitting on the stairs and in the
aisles.

Dick Sullivan subsequently suggested that we should hold APIS in alternate
years in the US and the UK. This still seems a good idea although on the
European side I would like to Europeanise things a bit. In 2008 for example APIS will
be in Bratislave.

Unfortunately there appears to have been a pattern of attacks on people of
international standing who have withdrawn from what should have been a very
useful forum as they had better things to do with there time than fight battles
with those with what appeared, to put it at its most polite, very parochial
reasons. This has damaged what could have been a very valuable resource.

As to parochiality, it would be worthwhile if the French speakers could
contribute in French. The recent exhibitions in Rennes and St Lous of European
pictorialists and in London of the work of Russian pictirialists have
demonstrated what an international community this is. This is not very often reflected
here.

I have been trying to get APIS to reflect these wider horizons. It is also
why i have been trying to include more science based conferences and others
where increased understanding of the history of our medium can contribute to what
we do now. The Oxfod conference this year reflects those aims.
There appear to be very strong arguments for organising another similar
conference in Paris again, or in Florence, perhaps next year.

This community does not belong to a few gurus.

Terry