RE: Dmax versus process?

From: Dave Soemarko <fotodave_at_dsoemarko.us>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 11:56:20 -0400

Agree. And also, in additional to subjective evaluation, we need to
understand that density alone does not tell everything, even the look or
"blackness" perceived by eye. A tranmission densitometer simply shine
(cannot think of the right word) a light source to an area and measure how
much of the light is reflected. That is all, nothing more, nothing less.

So, if you have a thick layer of colloid (in a non-technical sense) with
less concentration of pigment, the light needs to travel down the thickness
of the layer, and the reflected light needs to travel back. Let's say you
have a density of 1.8. Now if you instead have a very thin layer and heavily
concentrated pigment, the pigment might block the same amount of light, and
you might have a density of 1.8, but the look of the two are different, and
that cannot be told by density alone.

One example is if you take a jet black gouache (maybe dilute it just a
little bit for brushability) and paint it on a piece of paper, you get a
very nice black look. If you measure the density (and I did it once), the
density is only 1.5 to 1.6. But to my eye the blackness is certainly blacker
than a 2.1 or a glossy paper. But the looks are completely different.
Glossiness increases dmax in a specific way. It makes the reflection point
to one direction only, so when you use a densitometer, it cannot tell the
difference between that than a matte print which can reflect light in all
directions. It simply measures how much is given and how many percent of the
light is reflected.

Maybe I am starting to confuse again. I am poor with words. Sorry.

Dave S