RE: Dmax versus process?

From: Dave Soemarko <fotodave_at_dsoemarko.us>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 12:10:14 -0400

Yves,

With single coat gum, one can get slightly better than 1.2 but not much more
because of the filtering effect. With very long exposure I can get to near
1.4 (I have a big file of tests and I am typing this from memory).

With double coating, one can improve dmax in a certain way but it doesn't
improve as people who have not done a lot of gum printing thinks. People
tend to think that one can print and print and print and increase the dmax
again and again, but the fact is they don't improve as much. This is due to
mechanical property that the gum layer do not stack up indefinitely.

So while gum is a chemical process if we think of the hardening of the gum,
it is also a mechanical process when we think about how the gum layer
holding on the paper. The two must work together (both in practice and in
analysis).

Dave S