Re: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreau-yves_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 10:32:06 -0400

Katharine,

bellow you say "675 g dry ammonium dichromate in 5 ml" and it seems you
might have mean milligrams (mg) instead of grams (g).

Back exposing seem to make a gum emultion behave like a carbon tissue where
percentage of dichro as low as 1/2 % have been used. I wouldn't be surprise
to ear you can make a relief gum print with back exposure. I suppose it is
just a question of finding the right ratio of tickness and finding the
proper concentration and quantity of each ingredient to use.

This not a critic of Marek, you or anyone else but I don't know, I can see
the benefit of using some plastic and back exposure for somekind of
transparent presentation which could be somewhat magical but I don't see how
one can present such a piece without taking advantage of its transparent
nature. It would be like trying to show a large Velvia slide (4x5 or more)
laying flat on a piece of white paper if you see what I mean. Makes me
wonder if we should continue to call these "print", maybe calling then
"slides" would be more appropriate, just a thought.

Regards
Yves