Paper Absorbancy/Exposure: Cyanotype over Ziatype

From: mark_at_dragonbones.com
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 15:28:04 -0400

I've been exploring different alt techniques to achieve a blue/black color and "look" for a series of images I'm working on. At the suggestion of Kerik, I gave cyanotype over platinum a go--it was my last option--sorry Kerik. I wasn't looking forward to it since I've found platinum tempermental (perhaps it's me) and not very paper friendly. However, this most likely will be the option I choose since I'm very pleased with the initial tests--thank you Kerik. After re-reading Kerik's workshop book I decided to give Ziatype a go instead of straight platinum and I'm very happy with the results. Anyways, that's a bit of history. I'm currently having two problems that I would like some advice on:

1. Paper absorbancy: The dryed ziatypes suck down my cyanotype solution. I can barely get get my magic brush onto the puddle of solution before it is absorbed. I tried some tween, but it didn't really help. You gum printers must have this issue AND a solution :-)

2. Cyanotype exposure: My exposures are very long, nearly twice what they were when printing the negatives as cyanotypes only. I can live with this, but was wondering if this is to be expected or perhaps it is due to paper absorbancy issue. I don't think I'm getting a very even coat on the paper.

Many thanks in advance for your good suggestions.

Mark