Re: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: TERRYAKING_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 19:05:30 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 2/5/06 11:53:14 pm, gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca writes:

> Mark,
>

> I'm sorry Mark, I don't get it, "define parameters" like you do here
> and from a person who wrote a highly regarded book on the subject. What's a "tones
> of density"? Ok, I figured that one out. I'm beginning to think that like me
> english is not your forte and it would explain a lot of things like the para
> below where I see more confusion then definitions.
>

> Regards
>
> Yves
>

> >Let's assume that a digital negative can have a maximum of 256 possible
> tones of density. (If that is ok with you) and that a radical curve is going
> will >reduce the number of tones from 256, so  let's  consider a not so  radical
> curve.  Let's also assume that the negative matches the exposure scale of >
> the gum mix before the curve is  added.
> =

Yves

This was an attempt to explain the inexplicable.

The curves are not only an unnecessary complication but they also confuse the
issue. Expressed without reference to curves, all this is saying is that
there is a loss of gradation if the density of the print is 'stretched'.

Incidentally, how would you explain Puyo's technique in making single coat
gum prints ?

Furthermore, if you think that you are not getting your point over in
English, why not make the point in French too ?