Re: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreau-yves_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 11:35:26 -0400

Terry,

yes, I recall you said a negative density of around 0.7 should work fine for gum but that doesn't say how much the Dmax of the print will be and if I understand correctly Sandy's 1.2 figure is about exactly that, the Dmax of the print not the negative.

We may be arguing for nothing here, hopefully I will be able to keep up with this statement but I would "never" claim you can't make a gum print without using a curve or a digi-neg for that matter, that would be stupid on my part after all gum as been around well before computers.

All this I wrote below is basically about how to make a negative by which ever mean you like that will expose the gum emultion in such a way as to provide some apparently continuous tones from a minimum to a maximum value. The specific values are irrelevent, if light could be held in very small bucket I would say you want this tone then use this many buckets and you got it, you want that tone then use that many buckets. For me, controling the densities of a negative is just like saying how many buckets of light you need and where you want it, if you view the density of a negative not as an obstacle to light but as a passage of light then the analogy with buckets makes more sense. I would just add I'd rather push a few keystrokes then have to carry buckets around however small they may be.

I'm convinced what we say is not incompatible, I don't know, maybe someday humans won't need words to communicate and this may solve many things.

Regards
Yves