Re: Brush development of palladium prints. RE: Potassium Oxalate developer for Platinum printing

From: Nigel Betternueue <nigel_betternu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 11:10:37 -0700 (PDT)

Once again this never-ending obsession with print quality!

  Surely you realize that not using any contrast agent will minimize any needless mental activity when printing. I say just just print everything with no contrast agent, and be happy with what one gets.

  Admittedly, a print from a negative without the proper amount of density range will look muddy, low contrast and be considered substandard on all counts, but at least one can go to sleep at night realizing that the poor print was not the fault of excessive contrast agent. Goodness knows we have enough to worry about in this world without worrying about needless use of contrasting agents during platinum printing! Just as I would never consider ordering a nice burgundy with salmon, I would never consider using a contrast agent during platinum printing. It simply is not done in the circles I frequent.

  When you have been platinum printing as long as I have with no discernable improvement in the general quality of the prints, it makes the occasional beautiful result that much more rewarding. What sort of life would we have if every print turned out beautifully? Deadly boring, I say. Eating seven courses of dessert instead of a proper meal is a recipe for ennui.

  Nigel

Ender100@aol.com wrote:
  Terry,

Now perhaps you wish to explain that comment—there sure are a lot of people doing PT/PD printing and using some form of contrast control. For example, with your in camera negatives, you certainly have to match the exposure scale of the PT/PD to fit the density range of the negative. Though it is possible perhaps to print PD without any contrast control, I doubt that one could tell the difference between such a print and one made with a PD mix using an exposure scale up around Log 3.0.

So, what's your point again? Contrast control degrades printed results? That's a new one to me. Looking forward to your explaination on that one.

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson
Precision Digital Negatives--The Book
PDNPrint Forum at Yahoo Groups