Re: digital negatives, just a thought

From: bsinger <bsinger_at_sasktel.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 10:49:05 -0600

Yves Gauvreau wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Lately, as you may be aware I have said and wrote many things about digital
>negatives and a new concept I came up with but now this message is about
>putting all this in persective and explain in as simple terms as I can what
>I mean by all this.
>
>The premise of all this is, information lost, you may not be aware that most
>printer, at least those I have used, can only output 256 tones in B&W and 16
>million plus colors which comes from the combinaison of 256 values of red,
>256 values of green and 256 values of blue or 24 bits if you prefer. I think
>most of you may print digi-negs in color but you use none the less only 256
>colors what's worst is when you use a curve and here is why.
>
>I'll use only the 256 B&W tones in order to keep things simple but the same
>can be said about color. Mark told us the other day that it was possible to
>obtain a (UV) density as high as 4.0 from a printer and most process need
>less then half this value to do the job right. What happens to the other
>half you don't need? Well it is lost, another way to say this, is out of the
>256 tones or densities a printer can produce the process requires only a
>(small) subset of that. The less exposure range a process needs the worst
>this information lost becomes. In other words you are putting on your
>digi-neg just a few distinct densities and it is bound to show on your
>prints in some way.
>
>The concept I'm working on would use all the 256 tones present on your
>original and translate them into 256 distinct densities that spread the
>exposure range required by the process you intend to use and that's a world
>of difference. Like I said to Don Bryant, it would be like choosing between
>a bicycle ride and a F-18 ride. The concept resemble what we do when we
>create a profile for a printer, when we do this we are interested in how our
>printer spits ink on the medium from the various input values basically and
>we adjust what we feed the printer such that the output meet our
>expectations color wise, all this is done behind the scene with color
>managment.
>
>With this new idea of mine, we would do something very similar, we want to
>know what UV densities each of the 2^24 possible colors can produce. Knowing
>all this we could choose only 256 from of all those colors that spreads
>uniformaly the hole range of densities required for a particular process. In
>other words absolutely no information loss, better yet do you think out of
>these 16 million colors of which a printer can only print a subset but still
>a very large one, could there be enough distinct densities that we could
>translate a 16 bit original B&W into 65k uniformly spread densities from 0
>to whatever a particular process requires? I don't know yet but I just know
>any number larger then 256 would be an impressive improvement.

> [...]
I think you are on the right track. UV light is not full spectrum
light. What ever color appears on the printed negative is really
irrelevant. What should count is the degree to which the ink allows UV
light to pass though. I can see, someday a set on inks that would be
used to print negatives, that would be soley based upon the inks ability
to transmit UV light. No there is something to think about.

Barry