Re: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Ender100_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 13:18:50 -0400 (EDT)

Katherine,

Rather than stating a fact, I was asking a question.

I would agree, with the extreme situation you are referring to below, this
would probably not be possible. I do think with a less contrasty mixture,
however, you should be able to shift the tones between DMax & DMin to just about
whatever "usefull" values you would want. By that I am excluding some weird,
extreme curve that might cause posterization or other problems.

The clarification I was actually looking for, however, was in the other post
you made and I responded to that. It had to do with the affect of pigment
load on contrast.

Thanks for your response,
Mark

In a message dated 5/4/06 12:05:47 PM, kthayer@pacifier.com writes:

> Sorry, I seem to have misread this sentence the first time.  I
> thought you were talking about the scale between DMax and DMin.  What
> you're saying here, that one should be able to express all the values
> between DMax and *paper white*,  shows even less understanding of gum
> than I was supposing.  Let's take a pigment mix that is so pigmented
> (much more pigmented than Chris's 3 g/100 ml gum) that it can print
> only one or two very dark values, regardless of what the negative
> looks like; the rest of the image will be  paper white (assuming that
> the mix isn't so overpigmented as to cause pigment stain).  It's not
> so outlandish to imagine this kind of pigment mix; I used to print
> this very high-contrast way early in my gum printing career, as do
> many people before they understand that too much pigment gets you too
> much contrast. (Someone here referred to this kind of print as "soot
> and chalk" which is a great description). Surely you don't imagine
> that by changing the curve, you can make this pigment mix print  256
> values between black and white?
> Katharine

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson