Re: first my "French", Now my English

From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreau-yves_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 23:42:02 -0400

Judy,

I meant all this as a compliment, I was hoping it sounded like one but it
seems like it did not. Yes, I sometime need to check with my friend the
dictionary when I read your posts (and others) but that doesn't mean you
don't write (very) intelligently and maybe you make a special effort to give
it your best and then again maybe not, I wouldn't know, it just seem like
it. I'm definitely not in the same league (sport) as you english wise. One
of thing that is the hardess for us human to do is to bring ourselves to the
levels of others, if you don't believe me ask someone who teach young
children.

Basically, my point was that here on this list, members comes from every
where in the world and of course for many english is not there first
language and I thought the main objective of such a list was to exchange
ideas and knowledge on alt-process printing and not to show off the hability
ones has or not with the english language, I'm not thinking of anyone in
particular when I say this.

I heard this theory a few times, that someone can't express more then 60% of
what's in ones mind and the person listening would understand no more then
60% of what was said. In other words, communicating is very inefficient, add
to this the different levels people can express themselves especially in a
second, third language or more and in the end you have what happen between
me and Katherine a couple of times. Saying "I don't get it" even if it's
true, doesn't help her or me understand what the other really meant.

Bring religion and or politics in such an environment and it's easy to
undertand why things turn to chaos if not war. (of words hopefully)

Another famous french phrase we say sometime, goes something like this: if
someone isn't worth a laughter he (she) isn't worth very much.

Regards
Yves