bogus notices from ISP

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 08:21:44 -0700

Recently, Keith was having some trouble because his URL had been
hijacked by spammers, or something...I didn't pay close attention
because it's out of my area of expertise and I had nothing of use to
contribute, and I hope that he was able to get that all fixed.

But as I recall, during that discussion a couple of people said
that they had been notified by their ISP that their address had been
used for sending spam. I got such a message this morning,
obviously a fake. It was signed "the pacifier.com support team" to
make it look like it came from my ISP, but a quick glance at the
"From" address verified that it was from no such place, and indeed,
pacifier changed its name several years ago; there's no such
corporate entity any more as pacifier, although they were good enough
to let those with a pacifier address keep the address. Any mail that
comes from them now is signed with the new name. Without doubt,
this is a hoax message. So be a little wary of messages
purporting to be from your ISP telling you that your address has been
used to send spam.

Katharine