Re: Photo Silk Screen

From: Peter Marshall <petermarshall_at_cix.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 23:16:52 +0100

One difference to gum is that you have to work with high contrast. I
worked with silk screen using both simply using lith films and also
using random dot halftone screens. You need to work with fairly coarse
halftones as if you try and make them fine the ink blocks the holes. You
can print a much finer half tone with gum, but I probably shouldn't
mention that again.

I got better results by using an indirect film material 'Five Star' than
liquid emulsions, but this was some years back and things may have
changed. I could use a finer random dot with 5-star. I didn't try
Alphastar which holds a finer dot still.
http://www.macdermidautotype.com/autotype.nsf/webfamilieseurope/INDIRECT%20Stencil%20Films

Some of the prints I made had 10 or 12 printings, often combining cut
and photo stencils. I also used some opaque and some transparent inks,
which enables you to think differently to most gums.

Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/