Beginner Density Questions & Digital Negs

From: G Guhan Gunaratnam <guruguhan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 13:54:39 -0400

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself as Iıve been lurking on this list for some
time. 29yr old, living in Toronto, new to printing. This list is great and
I want to say thanks to everyone for exposing me to a lot I would have
otherwise not known.

Iıve got some beginner density questions, largely stemming from the phrase
³correct density². Iım trying to do digital negatives for pt/pd on an
R2400, MIS inks, Pictorico OHP. Iıve read Danıs book and all the articles I
can find on the net, in more than one of them a proper density range is
written (ex 1.9 for Palladium). So what is this? Is this the measurment
one wants in the blackest black on a negative/digi step wedge when using a
densitometer? And does this correct density, then translate into the
highest density ³black² one can get in a pure palladium print?

If one were to do Pt/Pd prints, would you then want to shift the 1.9 density
more towards 1.6 in your negative?

Since we are creating a negative, why does the densest step of the negative
(this would be the step with the most ink...right?) then affect the blacks
on the print (or does it ­ I thought it would affect the highlights).

On the digital negative side, for my first digital negative I used Danıs
template and used the layer for Pt on the 2200 (even though Iım on a 2400).
In other writings coloured negatives seem to be more prevalent. Do these
techniques stem from the concept that some colour inks are better at
blocking UV than the matte black ink? Why?

Iım a little confused today. Any help is appreciated, thanks a lot.

Gu