RE: Beginner Density Questions & Digital Negs

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:33:00 +0300

Michael, I don't agree with you on the fact that the cited 1.9 density
range figure is referring to the reflective density of the print. In my
understanding the 1.9 figure refers to the density range of the
negative. And when one talks about density range this means the absolute
dmax of the negative should be even higher: For instance, if the
negative material's base + fog density is log 0.3, then the absolute
dmax of the negative should be 0.3 + 1.9 = 2.2 - that is for being able
to print a full tonal image by using the specific process (and/or
coating solution/emulsion mix) which requires a negative density range
of 1.9. IME, it is impossible to get a printed density range of 1.9 with
palladium - this is closer to what you can get from air dryed fiber
based glossy silver-gelatine paper! I can't get such a printed density
range even after coating my palladium prints with glossy polyurethane
wood finish... (which improves dmax by log 0.3 - 0.4 / over regular
uncoated prints).

On the other hand, with print-out palladium (ammonium iron(III) oxalate
sensitizer + Li2PdCl4 - that is Ziatype w/o any contrast agent) the
negative density range requirement is considerably higher than 1.9.
(This is probably true for develop-out palladium also...)

Regards,
Loris.