Re: Beginner Density Questions & Digital Negs

From: G Guhan Gunaratnam <guruguhan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:54:29 -0400

Thanks a lot Christina & Loris,

Ok, so 1.9 refers to the density range. So then how do you arrive at this
number? Is this only a number that those using a densitometer can define?
Regardless, I'm still interested. If you did have a densitometer, do you
then measure the darkest part in the neg, and then the lightest part of the
neg, and that the difference would give you this number? Or would it give
you this number with B+F (which brings me to my next question).

What are base density and fog density (if I were to guess I'd say the base
density is the density of the media itself, but fog density)? Are these
figures generally given by the manufacturer? What is the B+F of Pictorico
OHP?

Christina, how did you arrive at the colour you use for your negs? I have
read Clay Harmon's approach (using the triangles)...is this the easiest?

I'm waiting for some money to come my way before I attend a workshop with
Mark. I've been thinking about it for a little while but want to try and
have the basics out of the way as much as I can to be able to take advantage
when the time comes.

Mark, if you're reading this...I'm trying to make it! Don't count me out
yet.

Thanks again,
Gu