Argyrotype: Untoned & toned...

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 01:12:49 +0300

Orijinal untoned Argyrotype:
1) http://www.loris.medici.name/First_Argyrotype.jpg

Palladium toned Argyrotype:
2) http://www.loris.medici.name/Pd_Toned_Argyrotype.jpg

Gold toned Argyrotype:
3) http://www.loris.medici.name/Au_Toned_Argyrotype.jpg

Toning was made before fixing for 2 and 3.

2 and 3 are from the same negative, 1 is from the first negative. Second
negative was made by darkening (a little bit) the shadows of the orginal
file (using the following curve: in-out values 0-0, 64-56, 128-128, 192-192,
255-255).

As you can see the Pd toned print is quite poor in contrast and shadow
density departments. Also, there's a strange yellow staining of paper base.

The gold toned print isn't that much neutral actually. It looks quite warm
under tungsten lighting - I guess it scans like that because of the
flourescent scanner light.

I liked much the results I got with Argyrotype + gold-toning combination.
For the moment I consider this combo as the holy grail of iron-silver
printing.

A nice Sunday to all,
Loris.