RE: Argyrotype: Untoned & toned... (new file)

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:37:35 +0300

Thanks for the info Cor. It's hard to show the actual color using a
simple colorized hue adjustment layer. The color is subtle but quite
complex and it changes according to lighting.

I was inclined to try Kallitypes back when I first started alt-processes
but then decided to remain with print-out processes (for the sake of
their ease). Also, AFO and AFC are relatively cheap compared to FO (and
won't go bad in solution, FWIW). On the other hand, I acknowledge the
fact that using develop-out processes may present some advantages
because the process adjustment curves are less drastic (I believe;
because there's no or very little self-masking) when compared to process
adjustment curves for print-out processes. This "theorically" translates
as: better tonal gradations due to less posterization. Practically, when
I compare the "gradation" of my print-out palladium prints (Ziatypes)
with the "gradation" in develop-out palladium prints made by a
well-known and respected Pt/Pd printer, I confidently can say they look
as good as (if not better!) his prints (both types of prints made using
digital negatives).

Regards,
Loris.