RE: Argyrotype: Untoned & toned... (new file)

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:40:54 +0300

Hi Cor,

-----Original Message-----
From: Breukel, C. (HKG) [mailto:C.Breukel@lumc.nl]
Sent: 23 Mayıs 2006 Salı 10:54
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: RE: Argyrotype: Untoned & toned... (new file)

>"..AFO is indeed quite stable (years), I know that FO solutions are
claimed to be less stable, I won't dispute that, but in my crude set up
I did not see a difference between fresh Fo and 4 months old FO.. And it
is not hard to make a smaal batch in advance.."<

I see... AFAIK, old FO will cause fogging, inhibiting paper white
specular highlights and affecting contrast negatively (glad you don't
experience these problems). Yes, I agree that it's not that hard to make
a small batch (even if FO is relatively hard to dissolve). The reasons
I'm staying away are: a) the relative complexity (developer:
contamination, replenishment) and b) the price of FO powder (7.5x AFO /
AFC)... Print-out processes are nice and work with less surprises.

>"...In my hands DOP(Pt/Pd) versus POP (Zia) gives very different tonal
values when printing the same negative (so surprise here), but I work
with in-camera negatives only, not didgital. So I guess with digital you
can adjust the curves to obtain similair tonal values."<

Yes exactly. But since there's considerable self-masking, the curves are
pretty drastic. It's easy to loose shadow contrast (and details in
shadows due low contrast and posterization due drastic curve
adjustment).

Anyway, I'm happy for now (with Ziatypes, New Cyanotypes & Argyrotypes).
Regards,
Loris.