Re: Platinum/Palladium & Paper Speed

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 21:07:26 +0300

Hi Mark,

I won't approach this issue from the pt/pd perspective:

I think apart being chemical (undoubtedly paper's chemistry has great
effect over the results), it may also be strongly related to
absorbtion - more absorbent papers being slower. What is your
experience with contrast? I mean; have you found that slower papers
exhibit consistently lower or higher contrast? (I'd bet for:
"consistently higher contrast")

My logic is based on my classic (and new) Cyanotype experience: when
you double coat the speed drops and contrast increases... Double
coating = using more sensitizer per given coating area -> absorbent
paper also uses more sensitizer per given coating area... FWIW, my
exposure times are more or less the same for 4 or 5 different papers I
have used since I started making Cyanotypes and I always double coat
classic cyanotypes (single coat new cyanotypes) + I always use the
same amnt. of sensitizer per given coating area (lightsource is the
same).

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Loris.